The Reason I Haven’t Blogged All Summer

I haven’t blogged all summer because, well, I’ve been depressed.

I won’t go into details, but my family and I have slogged through some serious health and employment issues this year. These crises have spiked my anxiety levels and put the monkey of depression on my back once again.

An Endless Grey Mist

I have struggled with bouts of depression since middle school. It’s not a temporary case of the blues. Depression is a grey mist that seemingly has no end. It dampens your energy and freezes out hope. If you suffer from depression, you know how much it sucks.

It’s no use to tell a depressed person to “snap out of it” or “have more faith” or any of the other platitudes I’ve heard along the way. We need compassion, not condemnation; support instead of suggestions on “how to make it better.” What depressed people need more than anything else is a friend – someone who will listen, shed a tear, and gently offer help.

The One Thing I Did Right

One thing I did right this time around was to reach out to people I trusted. Depression cuts you off from the herd, making you feel like you’re on a deserted island. If you suffer from chronic depression or anxiety, don’t go it alone. Please. I was blessed to have a wife, family members, a doctor, and pastoral colleagues who were there for me, and still are. Without their support, I shudder to think where I would be now.

Suicide Prevention Month

September is National Suicide Prevention Month. With the recent suicides of Kate Spade, Anthony Bourdain and a well-loved pastor in California, we all need to be aware of the seriousness of depression and be ready to throw out a lifeline if a loved one appears to be suffering. As Christians, it is our joyful duty to “carry each other’s burdens and thus fulfill the law of Christ” (Gal 6:2).

Photo courtesy of trisofficial via morguefile.com

Comments(18)

1. Reply
    Pam Capener says

Thank you for sharing. Prayers for you!

2. Reply
    Sherry says

Proud of you for reaching out, Mark.

3. Reply
    Bob Holloway says

Prayers Mark! I’m tnankful that you are leaning into your faith and your circle of support. Blessings

4. Reply
    bthomas says

To some degree, understand. Thankful you have caring friends, etc. to whom you can turn. Depression is a real tough thing. Praying for you.

5. Reply
    Wesley says

Praying for you. Cherish your friendship.

6. Reply
    LK Fletcher says

Hugs and prayers, Mark

7. Reply
    Suzanne Winter says

And through it all, you are my favorite brother. Amazing talents, loving husband, supportive dad, silliest grandpa!! Love, kiss and prayers.

Mark Winter - One Man Show Ministries says

Aw, thank you, Sis. Love you.

8. Reply
    Brogreg says

Hey dude. I understand totally what you’re saying. I’ve dealt with depression for about the same amount of time but wasn’t diagnosed until I was in my thirties. I’ve also had a bad summer with it. My meds seemed to quit working. The dr. put on a new med recently and it’s working great. For about a month I’ve been free of those downward feelings. The only problem is that I’ve had to deal with the side affect of insomnia. I was just about to post a praise on Facebook when I saw this. I slept through the night last night for the first time in almost a month. I hope it continues. But back to the original point. I hope you’ll will consider counting me as one of those people you can reach out to and lean on. God bless you brother.

Mark Winter - One Man Show Ministries says

Greg, thank you for sharing. Depression is a tough thing, as you know. Your invitation for me to reach out is extended to you, as well.

9. Reply
    Mike Love says

Spot on Mark. So sorry you have had to know this from the inside out. Your story, your answer to your calling, and your authentic you are an inspiration to us all. Hugs Brother. Hugs. Thank you for letting us walk with you. Glad you sought help.

Mark Winter - One Man Show Ministries says

Thank you so much, Mike. You are a good man.

10. Reply
    Linda Hoffland says

Prayers for you. Was a difficult summer for me too, dread fall coming since I really struggle with seasonal depression.

Mark Winter - One Man Show Ministries says

So sorry, Linda. I’m here for encouragement if you need it.

11. Reply
    Sandra Richardson says

Mark, It makes me sad to hear that you suffer from depression. I have suffered from depression most of my life as well. My Doctor prescribed mood elevators to me. Then he gave me a valuable and sound advice. He said “Do not let anyone make you ashamed that you have to take your meds. If you had a broken leg you would get it fixed. You have a chemical embalance, take your meds” That was our own Doctor Golden. He kept me well for 35 years. Mark, Be Blessed to be a blessing

Mark Winter - One Man Show Ministries says

Thank you so much, Sandra.

12. Reply
    Rick Mang says

Well said, brother.

13. Reply
    Iris says

Mark, what can I say except I love you and care deeply that you’ve been struggling with this. I have another good friend in N. C. whose husband is a retired pastor. She has suffered many years with clinical depression and it was awful watching her battle, so I’ve seen how horrible this is.
    ♥️&🙏🏻